The drive down the Jersey Shore for New Years had DH and I talking resolutions. I haven't had a concrete resolution in years and I remember the last set of resolutions being somewhat generic, nebulous, and conveniently forgotten within a few weeks. This year, I decided, will be the year my resolution is clear and has something chewy for me to sink my teeth into. I wanted something that would encompass a new way of living, yet be specific enough and task-oriented so that I could incorporate it into my lifestyle in a scheduled manner. "Eat better" or "Exercise more", although worthy and wonderful if actually accomplished, really wouldn't serve me well - I knew that come the first offer of dessert or opportunity to sleep in, all would be lost.
I thought about all the new changes in my life over the past couple months - renovated house and new baby - and reflected on what I would like to do with it all going forward with our new family. Since X surprised us with his early arrival I didn't exactly get the unpacking time I had planned on around the house. The result is that we continue to live out of many a plastic bin. Closets remain stuffed with half-unpacked boxes and the cellar is full of boxes that were packed the summer of 2003 and still await a home. My grandmother's words "A place for everything and everything in its place" ring in my ear daily.
So my resolution for 2006 is to get organized - with a punch list of very specific tasks to achieve my goal. In order to motivate myself, I've also decided on a personal prize at the completion of my tasks - a new spinning wheel. I've wanted a wheel ever since the Fall of 2004, when I started spinning classes with Betty at The Spinnery. My miscarriage interrupted the class series, and then the house renovation distraction (and dust) kept me from pursuing spinning during 2005. But I'm ready now, and playing for a few minutes with Cara's Lendrum made the desire come burning back.
Which brings me to said list, subject to revisions in the way of additions only. I'll update accomplished tasks on the blog as I get them done, as well as provide before-and-after pictures (as embarrassing as those before pictures might be). In the meantime I'll keep my eyes on the goal: an organized home for that new spinning wheel.
- Build Easy Closet system in 3rd floor guest room closet to use for linens.
- Re-organize X's closet and find location for outgrown clothes/diapers.
- Organize master bedroom closet.
- Get a bookcase for X's bedroom to use for books and toys.
- Find an armoire for guest room to use for yarn, roving, and related fiber accessories.
- Create and keep updated a working inventory of knitting needles and yarn.
- Bring all kitchen/cooking supplies up from cellar to kitchen, find a home for everything (either in our home or in someone else's via Freecycle).
- Design/build shelving and storage in laundry center.
- Get ball rolling for carpenter to build shelves and cabinets in family room.
I haven't decided what spinning wheel I'd like - any input now or as I get closer to purchase would be welcome, of course. I've never been as excited as now about a resolution, but it really feels like this is my year - watch out 2006, motivated mama coming your way!